to

How much do all these figures stack up to?

这些数字的总和是多少?

There was a long lag in forwarding mail to us.

转寄给我们的邮件晚了很久才拿到。

Foreign nationals were asked to leave the country.

外国侨民被要求离开该国。

A country must have the will to repel any invader.

一个国家得有决心击退任何入侵者。

Swimming is the best way to tone up your body.

游泳是健体强身的最好方法。

They denounced him to the police as a criminal.

他们向警方告发他是罪犯。

Have a glass of beer to rinse your dinner down.

喝杯啤酒把你吃的晚饭冲下去。

You can do it this way if you care to.

如果你乐意的话,可以这样做。

Young ladies used to have lessons in deportment.

少女以前要上仪态课。

A stunt man needs to have a good guardian angel.

当特技替身演员的得有个守护天使来保佑。

Are you willing to stand surety for your brother?

你愿意当你弟弟的保证人吗?

He beckoned to me from across the street.

他在马路对面向我招手致意。

A 10% service charge is added on to the bill.

帐单上包括了百分之十的服务费。

He dedicated his life to science.

他毕生致力于科学事业。

I gave him money as an inducement to leave.

我给他钱,诱使他离去。

I have a huge pile of letters to deal with.

我有一大堆信件要处理。

It is absurd to go out in such terrible weather.

在这麽恶劣的天气里出去太荒唐。

It is hard to sleep without a cooler in this room.

没有空气调节器,在这间屋里很难入睡。

He has a yen to be alone in a boat.

他渴望独自待在一条船上。

It is now our aim to set up a factory.

我们现在的目的是创办一座工厂。

It is very unwise for the girl to marry him.

这女孩嫁给他是很不明智的。

It is wrong of you to bully the child.

你不该欺侮那个孩子。

I need a piece of string to tie this parcel up.

我需要一根细绳把这包裹扎起来。

It was painful to admit that I was wrong.

要我承认错了,是很费力的。

Modern paintings are not to my taste.

现代画不合我的口味。

It's only human nature to want a comfortable life.

想过舒适的生活不过是普通人的本性。

It's sad that we have to part company with them.

很遗憾我们要与他们分别了。

He likes to be sure of his bodily comforts.

他注重身体上的舒适。

She didn't attend to what I was saying.

她对我所说的话未加注意。

He persuaded her to sign the document by guile.

他用欺骗手段说服她在文件上签字。

He professed to know nothing about the matter.

他声称对此事一无所知。

I would like to have a word with you.

我想同你说句话。

She had to scrimp and save to pay for her holiday.

她不得不为付假期的费用而苦苦攒钱。

He reported on the whole event to the minister.

他把整个事件向部长做了汇报。

I'll try and rustle you up something to eat.

我设法给你弄点吃的。

He sprang up and rushed to the door.

他跳起身,跑到门口。

I'm not feeling up to snuff today.

我今天觉得不大舒服。

He tried to put a bold face on his failure.

他对自己的失败装出一副满不在乎的样子。

He tried to varnish over the truth with a lie.

他试图用谎言来掩盖真相。

I've got the hump over what he said to me.

我已经对他所说的很不耐烦了。

He was a dishonor to his regiment.

他是那个团的耻辱。

He was disobedient to his mother.

他不听他母亲的话。

At this rate we won't be able to afford a holiday.

照这样下去,我们不会有时间/钱去度假的。

She writes to her parents once a week.

她每周给父母写一封信。

If I had my way, I'd go to the movies tonight.

假如我做得到的话,我今晚会去看电影。

If you go to a private hospital you must pay.

如果你去一家私立医院就诊,你得付费。

The accident put an untimely end to the party.

意外事故使聚会匆匆结束了。

The boy booted the banana skin to the garbage heap.

男孩把香蕉皮踢到垃圾堆旁。

The boys were itching for the lesson to end.

那些男孩子们渴望下课。

Her clothes are always right up to the minute.

她的衣服总是式样最新的。